Author Topic: Buying an Explorer ticket at bus stations.  (Read 1198 times)

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 18
    • My Flickr Page!
Buying an Explorer ticket at bus stations.
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:32:49 pm »
Im going to go on an Explorer trip tomorrow, starting from Harlow.

There are signs up at Harlow bus station saying that they want passengers to buy their bus tickets at the infomation office, to help save time for the drivers. Sitting in the waiting room, I have seen passengers buy single and return tickets there aswell. As the explorer takes more time than a simple single ticket to buy, I will probably get one from the infomation office to help out the driver a bit.

But, i'm not really sure how the bus station would produce an explorer ticket. I'm worried they are just going to give me something which looks unprofessional, and then drivers may think its fake or something.

Obviously, I will ask more info at the office, but are bus stations allowed to do this? And can you do this at bus stations in Hertfordshire?

And a little unrelated, but what can a passenger do if they present an Explorer to a driver on an Explorer route, and they don't know what it is (especially with the independent companies). This has happend to me a couple of times (but they couldn't be bothered with the hassle, so just let me on anyway), but would passengers be allowed to get their money back from Intalink or wherever if some companies didn't accept it. Because it would be very easy for someone to just pretend that the driver didn't accept and just get their money back

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Buying an Explorer ticket at bus stations.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 01:28:50 am »
Take a leaflet or a website print out explaining the validity of the ticket.  But don't expect the driver to be able to necessarily read - I've this year (as in 2010, not the past 12mths) found 5 drivers telling me tickets aren't valid even when shown literature clearly stating it is.  Most were with operators of questionable repute (all if you don't count Arriva Southend as reputable!).  You could also ask them to contact management.  Most drivers have the facility to do this these days by mobile. 

And if you still get no luck, how about paying the single fare then writing to the company in question requesting a refund, sending photocopies of both your explorer and the ticket you shouldn't have had to buy?  No reply in two weeks = refer it to Bus Users UK, who I'd expect will sort it.  Still no luck? - warn us all so we don't make the same mistake!!!

Finally, if you're concerned about what the ticket will be like and fear problems, ignore the notice.  All publicity for the Explorer says it is BOUGHT ON THE BUS - there is no mention of this silly exception/preferred nonsense in the Republic of Harlow.  Arriva's Harlow staff could always board their vehicles early enough to issue all fares tendered, so as not to depart late.  And Arriva could even, if they don't already, roster their drivers to do so!  Rather than shoving notices up that suggest customers are a mere inconvenience to them trying to carry round fresh air on time all day.

Im going to go on an Explorer trip tomorrow, starting from Harlow.

There are signs up at Harlow bus station saying that they want passengers to buy their bus tickets at the infomation office, to help save time for the drivers. Sitting in the waiting room, I have seen passengers buy single and return tickets there aswell. As the explorer takes more time than a simple single ticket to buy, I will probably get one from the infomation office to help out the driver a bit.

But, i'm not really sure how the bus station would produce an explorer ticket. I'm worried they are just going to give me something which looks unprofessional, and then drivers may think its fake or something.

Obviously, I will ask more info at the office, but are bus stations allowed to do this? And can you do this at bus stations in Hertfordshire?

And a little unrelated, but what can a passenger do if they present an Explorer to a driver on an Explorer route, and they don't know what it is (especially with the independent companies). This has happend to me a couple of times (but they couldn't be bothered with the hassle, so just let me on anyway), but would passengers be allowed to get their money back from Intalink or wherever if some companies didn't accept it. Because it would be very easy for someone to just pretend that the driver didn't accept and just get their money back

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 134
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 06:22:55 am »

Arriva's Harlow staff could always board their vehicles early enough to issue all fares tendered, so as not to depart late.  And Arriva could even, if they don't already, roster their drivers to do so! 
Sadly we don't live in a perfect world. have you heard of late running?
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline harz99

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • Former 1940's petrol engine Canadian Ford in NZ
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 09:09:34 am »

Quite true we don't, and although this may not be on topic - how much of that late running is caused by the operator's own inadequate time and/or duty schedules?

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 18
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:03:10 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I think im just going to buy the ticket on the bus 500/501 from Epping, which will save me the single fare from Epping to Harlow (was just going to get a single to Harlow, then get the Explorer). I'm not in the wrong by buying it on the bus, and if its an inconvienience to the driver, then so be it. No other passengers get the 500 anymore anyway, they all get the 19 which is incredibly cheaper (but they don't accept Explorers).

And I will take your advice if they don't accept the Explorer (which in most cases they do accept it), I will first email the company, and if no reply, Bus Users UK.

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:32:46 pm »
True and obviously - but I also know it does not take long to press a couple of buttons to issue the Explorer.  The price is round, so any change-giving is normal speed.  And you can hand the bempac wallet to the customer for them to put it in if you're pressed for time.  So I can't see it taking any longer than serving any other customer who inconveniences the driver's easy day.

Arriva's Harlow staff could always board their vehicles early enough to issue all fares tendered, so as not to depart late.  And Arriva could even, if they don't already, roster their drivers to do so!