Author Topic: Herts service changes March 2011 - inc. new Sullivan 330, Uno 712/714 and Pink  (Read 11217 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 473
    • Company website
http://www.hertsdirect.org/envroads/roadstrans/publictransport/busesandtrains/buschange/

Changes to bus services
Over the next three years Hertfordshire County Council expects to have to make savings rising to around £188m a year. We have identified efficiency savings rising to around £110m a year for the next three years and are working hard to achieve more. However, we will not be able to close the gap without some service reductions.

In November 2010, the county council’s cabinet reviewed the subsidy the county council provides for contracted bus services.  It was agreed that the existing level of funding was not sustainable in the current financial climate and councillors reluctantly decided to reduce the council's passenger transport budget from £7.6 million to £6.2 million.  

This reduction will inevitably have an impact on the number of bus services in the county.  However, the county council has sought to maintain the best possible bus network for Hertfordshire's residents with the funding available choosing to reduce the times and frequency rather than cut services altogether.  The services affected are listed in the table below.

Next year we plan to review and consult on a new bus strategy, which will give residents the chance to comment on the sort of service we propose to provide in future.

Service   Area   Change
8   Watford – Mount Vernon   Early evening reduction
321   Rickmansworth – Watford - Luton   Route changes in Croxley and Watford
2   Watford – South Oxhey   Sunday service withdrawn
W1   Abbots Langley – South Oxhey   Evening service withdrawn
501   Watford – Hemel Hempstead - Tring   Evening service reduced from hourly to two hourly
W20   Watford - Oxhey   Withdrawn at peak times
52   Hemel Hempstead – Chesham section   Journey reductions (to be confirmed)
R9   Chipperfield – North Watford ASDA   Reduced from 6 to 3 days
H19/20   Abbots Langley – Hemel Hempstead   Reduced from 5 to 2 days
51   Flaunden – Hemel Hempstead   Reduced from 4 journeys to 2 and from 6 days to 2
H13   Hemel Hempstead business service   Reduced frequency
S7   St Albans City service (Firbank Road – Tyttenhanger)   Reduced from hourly to 3 journeys a day
343   St Albans - Dunstable   Sunday service withdrawn
656   St Albans - Borehamwood   Withdrawn evenings and Sundays
398   Borehamwood - Potters Bar   Reduced service (to be confirmed)
B1/2 and W7/9   Borehamwood town service and Borehamwood - Watford   Services linked and service in south of Borehamwood reduced from 15 to 30 minutes
379   Hertford - Stevenage   Revised times with 3 journeys reduced to 2
333/379   Pinehurst estate, Hertford   Reduced to hourly
308/380   Hertford - Cuffley   Frequency from Epping Green to Cuffley reduced from 3 journeys a day to 2
H4   Hemel Hempstead town service   Evening service withdrawn

(EDIT BY ADMIN: Subject line altered to better reflect the content)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:07:48 pm by Suzy Scott »
Mrs Suzy Scott
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF
MD of Here To There Publishing Ltd

Find all my current and recent photos at HertsBus & ScotBus - now online![/b][/color]

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
Re: HCC Budget Cuts
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 04:29:58 pm »
Hertfordshire March 2011 tender results

As yet, these have still to be formally published by HCC. However, based on registrations, a few interesting wins for Centrebus and Uno, losses for Golden Boy (entire network) and others. A few new commercial services too…

Many of the timetable changes and 'who has got what' has been published on VOSA, but there will still be some things to sort out and a few of those registrations will need to be altered.   Apparently there are lots of loose ends still to tie up. Some tenders have had to be offered once again, while some others are being 'trumped' by commercial registrations by incumbent operators. 

What is really notable, and perhaps is a pointer to what might happen in other counties is that certain journeys and just three evening and three Sunday contracts were abandoned before the exercise started. And then some operators decided to register commercial services (from initial suggestions, it appears to be about four weekday and eight Sunday examples), causing what might have been contract awards to be cancelled.   All of this has saved a considerable amount of financial support, which can be used to help retain at least a minimum service on several rural and shoppers' services which might have been withdrawn altogether.   It is similar to what happened in Surrey in August 2010 - I wonder if the threatened widespread cuts by Cambs and Northants may follow suit?

Those that  can be confirmed, though, in the sense that they can be ascertained from registrations:  44/45, 80 stay at Centrebus;  HA1/2 and 101 (evenings) Centrebus to Uno¸with the 101 extended top Hatfield UH Campus;  700 Centrebus to Uno (and extended to Hatfield in place of some 634 journeys); M1-5, 324, 333 Golden Boy to Centrebus (and 324 extended via 392 to Harlow);  550 Arriva extended to Borehamwood to replace W9 (with W7 withdrawn as such), but Sullivan will be operating the evening service on this corridor. I’m sure I saw a registration for Arriva 501 from Tring to Watford (replacement for eve/Sun Red Rose 501 service) but that is to be confirmed.

Additionally, no part of the tender process, but some interesting developments commercially. A new Service 330 (Mon-Fri) has been registered by Sullivan Buses from St Albans to Welwyn Garden City. If this follows the “traditional” route, it will cover all of the current day Uno 601 service. Also registered are a handful of journeys between Hatfield UH Campus, St Albans and London Victoria (again Mon-Fri) by Uno, as 712/714.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Find all my current and recent photos at HertsBus & ScotBus - now online![/b][/color]

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 18
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 04:46:33 pm »
Thanks for all this info!

Thats interesting about the 324 being extended to Harlow. I'm guessing the 392 will now be cancelled soon, although it is only partially funded by Essex CC, not under contract to them (AFAIK).

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 05:55:48 pm »
Thats interesting about the 324 being extended to Harlow. I'm guessing the 392 will now be cancelled soon, although it is only partially funded by Essex CC, not under contract to them (AFAIK).

As far as I know - no - it's just for driver changeovers.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Alex Hazell.

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
Re: excel coaches sotd
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 09:10:55 pm »
So does that mean that Uno have won the 700, stansted airport to stevenage route?
Bus/Coach of the Week: Roadrunner Dennis Dart Plaxton Pointer SLF P301AYJ.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 09:16:13 pm »
So does that mean that Uno have won the 700, stansted airport to stevenage route?

Yes - full name on the licence is Universitybus Ltd t/a Uno Buses.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Alex Hazell.

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 09:21:55 pm »
Another variety of buses to Bishop's Stortford.
Bus/Coach of the Week: Roadrunner Dennis Dart Plaxton Pointer SLF P301AYJ.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:43:21 pm »
The Centrebus 392 timetable has just been released on Traveline. It seems it will be run in competition with Roadrunner, as the departures from Harlow towards Hertford run just a few mins before the Roadrunner 392. In the other direction, its not so obvious.

Strangely, the times for Herts CC contract 324, which Centrebus will operate from March, operate to the same times as the 392 (i.e. most departures of both routes leave Hertford and 45-mins past each hour, following the same route, except the 324 serves and terminates and Broxbourne Station, whereas the 392 will not serve the station, and just continues to Harlow). Does this mean two seperate Centrebus buses will leave Hertford at the same time, or will it be the same bus?

It all seems rather strange  ???

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 94
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 10:43:13 pm »
The Centrebus 392 timetable has just been released on Traveline. It seems it will be run in competition with Roadrunner, as the departures from Harlow towards Hertford run just a few mins before the Roadrunner 392. In the other direction, its not so obvious.

Strangely, the times for Herts CC contract 324, which Centrebus will operate from March, operate to the same times as the 392 (i.e. most departures of both routes leave Hertford and 45-mins past each hour, following the same route, except the 324 serves and terminates and Broxbourne Station, whereas the 392 will not serve the station, and just continues to Harlow). Does this mean two seperate Centrebus buses will leave Hertford at the same time, or will it be the same bus?

It all seems rather strange  ???
The 324 has been taken on commercially and will only operate for 1 week (28th March - 3rd April) with the through 392 service between Harlow to Hertford will replace it from 4th April, the disparity being due to the difference between Herts tender change date and the Essex CC change date which was a week later.  Can't say what will happen to the Roadrunner 392 but I was under the impression that was tendered between Harlow & Broxbourne.  It appears that whoever entered the details into Traveline has misunderstood the registration.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 01:41:49 pm »
The 324 has been taken on commercially and will only operate for 1 week (28th March - 3rd April) with the through 392 service between Harlow to Hertford will replace it from 4th April, the disparity being due to the difference between Herts tender change date and the Essex CC change date which was a week later.  Can't say what will happen to the Roadrunner 392 but I was under the impression that was tendered between Harlow & Broxbourne.  It appears that whoever entered the details into Traveline has misunderstood the registration.

Thanks for the info. I looked at the timetables again earlier today, and noticed the 324 timetable does say it will only operate from 28th March-3rd April. I didn't notice that first time I saw them.

The Roadrunner 392 seems to be just funded by Essex CC, not under contract to Essex CC, apparently anyway. I definatly seems more like a contract, as its operated to the same timetable for years, and also new operators always start the route around early September, suggesting its tendered out. The 392 has always confused me lol. Maybe its only 'operated with financial assistance from Essex CC' because only part of the route is contracted, with the section to Rye Park commercial, like you said dwarfer.

Also, I assumed the 324 will operate for that week under contract to Herts CC, and then Centrebus will replace in with their commercial 392, presumably with the Broxbourne-Hertford section under contract/funded by Herts CC. Thats just a thought, but I will assume you are right dwarfer.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 08:50:00 pm »
Timetables and route descriptions for the changes to Uno Service 634, the "new" 700/635, and the new 712/714 have already been posted to this thread...
http://angliaandthamesvalleybusforum.com/index.php?topic=4329.0

Now, on this thread, I will post some of the other registration documents for contracted, part tendered, and commercial services - but not all of them!

Arriva 51 sees a big dip in service, down to one shopper bus on odd days of the week, instead of a 6-day service. This also replaces the Red Rose R-series services to Chipperfield.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 08:51:11 pm »
Arriva 500 daytime - mostly commercial - see the 550/500 post (to follow!) for details of the Borehamwood and Nash Mills journeys.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 08:53:12 pm »
Arriva have won the tender for the evening Service 501 (Tring - Hemel - Watford) which will be on a much reduced timetable (and as Red Rose aren't doing it, without the commercial placers to/from Aylesbury).

Is there going to be any Sunday service on this corridor?
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »
Arriva 550 (and some 500's) have been extended to/from Borehamwood - it looks like majority commercial. (This was the case until 2007 IIRC). Sunday service will be provided by Sullivan Buses as W9 - but will there be an evening service? This replaces most of the "old" W7/W9, with the old W7 dropped as such.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 08:57:32 pm »
Hemel town services 4/5 - this takes some explaining.

Minor changes on the Mon-Sat daytime Arriva-operated Service 4/5.
Evening Mon-Sat service operated by Redline is withdrawn.
Minor tweaks on the combined uno/centrebus Service 4/5 on Sundays.
Evening Sunday service operated by uno/centrebus is withdrawn.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 08:59:21 pm »
Sullivan 398 - this has been reduced from three buses during the day, to one. Revised route too.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 09:00:13 pm »
Sullivan B1/B2 Borehamwood town services - revised times and route.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 09:01:04 pm »
Sullivan W9 - Sunday service replacing Arriva W9 at these times.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 09:02:54 pm »
... finally for now, Uno have won the contract for the evening Service 101 between Stevenage, Hitchin and Luton, which is currently operated by Centrebus. Uno will extend the service to/from Hatfield...
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 11:36:29 am »
It looks as if Sullivan's W9 will become a 551 before it's started - there was also a revision to the Arriva 550 later that I'm not sure of. Also enclosed are new timetables for Commercial 330, tendered B3 and B80.

15 February 2011 - Changes to services in and around Borehamwood

BusesBus Services in Hertfordshire, and throughout the UK, are currently subject to significant funding cutbacks. We have been working hard with Herts County Council to minimise the effects of these cuts, and have devised a network of routes which will make the best use of the resources we have with the minimum of funding. Please see below for a summary of the changes to our services which will apply from the end of March. There may still be minor changes to some services, and we do not yet know full details of services which will be run by other companies.

Known changes to our services are as follows:

New Monday to Friday route 330 from Welwyn Garden City to St Albans via Woodhall, Queen Elizabeth II Hospital, Hatfield Hyde, Hatfield, South Hatfield, The Galleria and Fleetville.
This route will provide some useful shopping opportunities. This service will be operated commercially, so please support it to ensure its success.

Route 398 will be taken on as a commercial operation, formerly being a County council contract. We will need to make a number of alterations to provide the best service we can with the available funding.
The current arrangement, where every other bus runs only as far as South Mimms, will be altered so that most buses run from Borehamwood to Potters Bar and back.
In Potters Bar, buses Borehamwood will turn left from Mutton Lane to stop at the rail station, then return to Mutton Lane and carry on around the existing loop via Tesco, High Street, Hatfield Road, Darkes Lane and the station again. This will provide a better service travelling from Borehamwood and South Mimms to Potters Bar and the Darkes Lane shops as they will no longer need to walk from Mutton Lane, or ride around the town.
In Borehamwood buses will start and finish at the rail station. They will no longer continue to Cowley Hill along Stratfield Road or Hartforde Road. The peak hour journeys to Organ Hill Farm will no longer run, although the last bus each day will start from Organ Hall Farm.
Some journeys will be operated with double deck buses.

New Monday to Saturday evenings and Sunday route 551 will run between Borehamwood and Watford under contract to Hertfordshire County Council. This replaces services run by another operator under the numbers W7 and W9.

Evening and Sunday route 656 will no longer run.

Routes B1 and B2 will continue to link the Stanborough Avenue and Farriers Way areas of Borehamwood, but will also run to and from Organ Hall Farm in place of the B3.

Routes B3 will no longer run to Organ Hall Farm, but will continue to run between Well Hall and Tennison Avenue.

Route B80: The morning journey will be retimed. There is no change to the afternoon journey.

Routes R16 and R17: We will no longer be able to run these shoppers' services.

Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 11:46:16 am »
Arriva 300, 301 are also changing, to avoid the 301's having to "reverse" when turning into Hemel Bus Station. This file is a little larger than usual, for various reasons - so I've uploaded it to my webspace, rather than having it as an attachment.

http://www.suzyscott.com/misc_files/Arriva%20300%20301%20March%202011.pdf

Look at the Stevenage and Hatfield maps - HOW OLD? Very old service numbers in there - 4 being Whippet's 4 I assume? (However, the route of the 300/301 in these areas is unaffected).
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 04:37:00 pm »
The confirmed (almost!) list of changes can be found in the final - yes, *last ever* - edition of Intachange Magazine, which reached Issue 69. A few surprises and a lot of ex-tenders now commercial. Also includes some other councils changes, but no mention of the 139 at Royston - normally I'd say "it'll be in next time" but not now :-(

http://www.suzyscott.com/misc_files/issue_69.pdf
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 06:18:52 pm »
A few more variations registered today...

PF0002280/156 - CENTREBUS LTD, 102 CANNOCK STREET, LEICESTER, LE4 9HR
    * Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Hertford Bus Station and Harlow Bus Station given service number 324/392 effective from 03-Apr-2011. To amend Timetable.

PF0002431/13 - SULLIVAN BUS & COACH LTD T/A SULLIVAN BUSES, ST. ALBANS ROAD, SOUTH MIMMS, POTTERS BAR, EN6 3PN
    * Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between RADLETT and KINGSBURY, JEWISH FREE SCHOOL given service number B77 effective from 06-Apr-2011. To amend Route and Timetable.

PF0002280/62 - CENTREBUS LTD, 102 CANNOCK STREET, LEICESTER, LE4 9HR
    * Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Luton Rail Station and Hatfield University given service number 365/366/866 effective from 28-Mar-2011. To amend Timetable.

Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2011, 02:45:22 pm »
A few variations from recent times - Uno Hemel Service 4/5/H4 now has the 18.50 journey removed (Centrebus) but also has some journeys revised to be numbered H4 - I presume these are to differentiate the tendered workings from the commercial (on the ticket machine anyalsis).
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 02:47:39 pm »
635/700 - some buses now registered as 735 (presumably again to allow the money for the tendered bits to go straight to HCC!) - as far as I know, they will still run through, and 700 or 635. Additional stopping places, Sunday now as per Saturday.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 03:12:19 pm »
Oddly enough, from this week's Royston Weekly News... not quite the same, but worthy of comparison!

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Royston/Call-for-action-over-wasted-developer-cash.htm

Published: 03/03/2011 10:30 - Updated: 03/03/2011 10:32
Call for action over 'wasted' developer cash

Wholesale changes have been demanded by Hertfordshire county councillors to stop the authority wasting cash paid to it by developers. A scrutiny report revealed that, since July 2005, £300,000 had been returned to developers by Hertfordshire Highways because it had taken too long to spend the section 106 money. The report also found that Herts County Council had been forced to return a further £184,000 between 2007 and 2010 while there was currently £1m worth of s106 highways cash in danger of not being spent in time.

In contrast, Cambridgeshire County Council had kept hold of all s106 money it had recently received. Members of the topic group were tasked with considering how well the council was securing, managing and spending s106 contributions.

The review, which was called for by the council’s Lib Dem opposition, read: “Members felt that the aim should be that no money is returned and that departments should be planning what the money is to be spent on as soon as monies are received.”

Vice-chairman of the scrutiny review, Cllr Stephen Giles-Medhurst, said: “The scrutiny review exposed different procedures across the council, lack of any central management, the failure to consult local councillors, long delays in spending the money and spending on projects not related to the developments or in accordance with residents’ wishes, as well as the loss of money.

“The review also looked at what neighbouring councils like Cambridgeshire did and found they had a simpler and more robust system that had ensured no loss of money. “We had a review some four years ago and were assured that procedures were changed to minimise these problems then. It’s clear from our latest review that this has not occurred and we have lost money since.”

He continued: “There is an urgent need to centralise with one person being responsible for overseeing this to ensure no monies are lost and what we hold is spent correctly.

“We need annual monitoring reports and accountability, as well as a new culture to ensure past mistakes are not made again.”

Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 07:45:53 pm »
For the forthcoming changes, Hertfordshire County Council are producing the following bus timetable leaflets:
44/45
304(inc 620)
308/380
391 – there are no changes, but I understand this reprint is to replenish stocks.
H1/H3/H4
H13
H19/H20
HA1/HA2
M1-M5
R16/R17,
R21
W19/W20

Arriva are producing leaflets:
1 Watford
1/2/3/4/5 Hemel
2 Watford
8/80
92/94/97/97A/99
300/301
310/310A
395/396
SB2/SB3/SB7
SB4/SB5/SB6/SB40/SB50
SB8/SB9

Uno: Slimline booklet of Uno services
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 08:32:02 pm »
Meant to add - R16 and R17 are to be operated by Red Eagle.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 04:58:03 pm »
New PDF timetables for all routes will be on the Intalink website later this year. MONTH!

(EDIT: Sorry - wrong words!)
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 05:57:41 pm »
The vast majority of the new timetables (some 75 files!!!) are now on the Intalink website. Only ones not up so far are the Watford 8, Watford 10, 321, 500/501, 602, 607, 634/635 (but the 700 is there!), 636, Uno 712/714, Greenline 758 group, new Express 793, and St Albans Town S1-S5. (Some of these are also further back on this thread, but there will be proper panels in the next few days). I don't see a new Pinehurst summary panel at the moment either.

You will find below a link to download an archive ZIP file with the first 75 files. The file number beginning 087A is merely a numbering system I use for my folders to keep them in the same order... keep digging and you'll find the PDF's...

http://www.suzyscott.com/misc_files/089A%20Herts%20panels%20PART%20A-%20March%202011.zip
Mrs Suzy Scott