Author Topic: Ensign sells City Sightseeing brand  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 514
    • Company website
Ensign sells City Sightseeing brand
« on: April 22, 2011, 03:05:19 PM »
See attached from Bus and Coach Buyer...

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
Re: Ensign sells City Sightseeing brand
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 04:22:05 PM »
That was unexpected. I wonder if Ensign thought the open-top sightseeing market had peaked and decided to sell it off before it declined, or if dwindling used bus sales forced this. All in all, very unexpected indeed.
East Londoner

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 19
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »
Definatly unexpected!

I was proud when I went to foreign countries and saw the City Sightseeing brand, knowing that a bus company in Essex owned the franchise!

Offline Colin T

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • My bus when it was new
    • DW317.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 12:52:36 AM »
Well I'm not surprised at all.

Actually that's a slight fib - I am surprised it took 'em this long to offload it!!

Ensign have a history of growing bus operating businesses and then selling them on; to name a few examples:

London Pride
London Tendered work - sold to Citybus
Brief spell of service work in 1998/99 - sold to Town & Country

This time around, the local service network is going great guns and I cannot believe they haven't shifted it on yet - maybe it's making too much money for them!! Mind you, the rail work they're now involved in probably means they need the local service work to offset otherwise dead buses sitting in the yard all week.

It's only a matter of time though.....that local service network will get sold you mark my words!!

Their main business is dealing. That's what they're all about, always have been and always will be.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 19
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 06:17:40 PM »
It's only a matter of time though.....that local service network will get sold you mark my words!!

I hope not, as they are one of my favourite Essex operators. Lets just hope it doesn't get sold to Arriva or First!
I always thought diversification was good for a business. I.e. if Ensign's bus dealership has issues, they have their bus routes/rail replacement to fall back on, and vice versa. Seeing as they just sold their City Sightseeing franchise, I can't see them selling their local bus network anytime soon. Although, I agree with you Colin, I can see the network being sold, but maybe in a few years or so.