Author Topic: Tube trains to be used in Yorkshire?  (Read 4354 times)

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
East Londoner

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 58
Re: Tube trains to be used in Yorkshire?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:57:53 PM »
Wonder if they've noticed the slight lack of third rail in Yorkshire?  :)

Offline Andy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 20
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:08:25 PM »
The line in question is going to get converted to electric (third rail) due to that being cheaper than overhead lines apparently.

I think its a good idea - providing they ex LU stock is well refurbished etc.

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:23:36 PM »
The poor old Harrogate line - twenty years ago it was suffering with Class 141s and now they want to send former LU stock there.
Can not personally see the provision of third rail happening here, given that Network Rail have even recently commented that considerations had been made to converting the Southern to OHLE.

J508GCD

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:24:24 PM »
Wow! D Stock to Harrogate, would be fabulous!

Offline SURREYMAN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 07:23:35 AM »
Ain't never gonna 'appen!
3rd rail might, might, just expand a little bit in Merseyrail land or south of the Thames but never in an area where it does not already exist.
A recent statement was made saying that all 3rd rail lines should be converted to overhead well that ain't gonna happen either at least not in the next 20+ years.
Now electrifying Leeds to York via Harrogate at 25kv overhead is a very good idea if the money can be found.

Offline H303CAV

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 10:38:45 AM »
that would be defianlty worth a bash
Co owner of G661WMD F509NJE H303CAV

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 58
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »
Policy aside, there's a lot of technical issues with mixing 3rd rail and overhead which would kick in around the existing electrified areas in Leeds and York. Not beyond solving but it all bumps the cost up. The the D stock needs converting from fourth-rail; and while the interiors have had a heavy refurb a lot of the bits that really matter are 32 years old and will only give a few more years before being life-expired by the time S stock has reached the District. And that leaves you in a sticky position - having spent the money on the 3rd rail, you then either have to rip it up again or get a small dedicated fleet of 3rd rail units from new. (Or pick up another life-expired fleet with all the hassle that involves, as WYPTE did with the 307s and 308s)

Offline X314NNO

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • Metroline Tp's
    • Jacks Flickr!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 06:15:08 PM »
This will simply never happen

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
A recent statement was made saying that all 3rd rail lines should be converted to overhead well that ain't gonna happen either at least not in the next 20+ years.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the reasoning behind overhead being better than third rail?

Offline Stonechat

• Thank You
  • -Given: 276
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 09:01:45 PM »
Higher voltage, hence lower current, hence more efficient. Also better in winter!

Tony

Offline X314NNO

• Thank You
  • Metroline Tp's
    • Jacks Flickr!
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the reasoning behind overhead being better than third rail?

Go on  a 377/5 from Bedford to Brighton.

You will certainely notice the difference

Offline Danny

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
Higher voltage, hence lower current, hence more efficient. Also better in winter!

Tony

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks.

Offline jwy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 12:14:04 PM »
I am another who is of the opinion that this will never happen.  Apart from anything else, my understanding is that these trains do not meet National Rail crash worthyness standards and so would be most unlikely to be allowed to operate anywhere that could potentially see them come into contact with another train.

Offline X314NNO

• Thank You
  • Metroline Tp's
    • Jacks Flickr!
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »
I am another who is of the opinion that this will never happen.  Apart from anything else, my understanding is that these trains do not meet National Rail crash worthyness standards and so would be most unlikely to be allowed to operate anywhere that could potentially see them come into contact with another train.

Cleary doesnt meet specs anyway.

Signalling would have to be changed
Aws
Dra would have to be installed.

And more to the fact why would network fail install 3rd rail when there trying to ditch it?

Adam Dowling

« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2011, 03:54:16 PM »
I wonder if the D stock could be sent to operate the "Island Line" over on the Isle of Wight and replace the Class 483's which are now rapidly approaching 75 years of age?

Offline X314NNO

• Thank You
  • Metroline Tp's
    • Jacks Flickr!
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »
I wonder if the D stock could be sent to operate the "Island Line" over on the Isle of Wight and replace the Class 483's which are now rapidly approaching 75 years of age?

subsurface stock would be too big. i can see the 1992 stock going there

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »

The 1992 stock is only around 18-16 years old, so about only halfway through their lives with LU. I have heard they've had many many problems with them in recent years. The only replacements I can see for the the old 1938 stock (which still gives a good ride from my experience in 2009) is the 1972 stock from the Bakerloo, but not for at least several more years.
East Londoner

Offline X314NNO

• Thank You
  • Metroline Tp's
    • Jacks Flickr!
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 04:50:23 PM »

The 1992 stock is only around 18-16 years old, so about only halfway through their lives with LU. I have heard they've had many many problems with them in recent years. The only replacements I can see for the the old 1938 stock (which still gives a good ride from my experience in 2009) is the 1972 stock from the Bakerloo, but not for at least several more years.

or picadilly line?

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 124
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
I imagine this is wishful thinking on the part of TfL rather than anything serious?

Offline SURREYMAN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 06:25:08 PM »
I imagine this is wishful thinking on the part of TfL rather than anything serious?
I can't imagine that TFL had anything to do with it, their only interest would be if any payment received for old trains was slightly higher than the scrap value.
It's not going to happen, who ever thought this up should needs a gentle 'reality check' to save them from further embarrassing themselves.
I can see that the IOW might get some cascaded Tube stock in a few years time when the current 1938 stock finally falls apart.

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 110
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 08:29:15 AM »
I can't imagine that TFL had anything to do with it, their only interest would be if any payment received for old trains was slightly higher than the scrap value.
It's not going to happen, who ever thought this up should needs a gentle 'reality check' to save them from further embarrassing themselves.
I can see that the IOW might get some cascaded Tube stock in a few years time when the current 1938 stock finally falls apart.
I believe this was a suggestion from some local forum in the Harrogate area as a way of improving the quality and frequency of trains to Harrogate & York.  So not affiliated with any railway operation, somewhat unrealistic and never likely to happen.