Author Topic: Northern City Line  (Read 1699 times)

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
Northern City Line
« on: August 22, 2012, 02:06:50 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_City_Line

I was wondering why this line does not operate at weekends, as I was hoping to use it on Saturday when I'm in the capital. I can't really think of any particular reason why this should be the case.
East Londoner

Offline Andrew Morgan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 74
  • -Receive: 36
Re: Northern City Line
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 04:11:01 PM »
it has been that way for years since at least 1982 i think it is because it is for commuters into moorgate so that is why it only runs monday to friday .

Offline jwy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »
The line ran on Saturdays more recently than 1982 as I used to take my son to see matches at Arsenal later on in the decade and we often used to catch a train from Drayton Park after the game as it was much less crowded than using Arsenal station on the Piccadilly Line.  I agree, though, that it is many years now since it operated at weekends.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 22
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:50:03 PM »
A weekend service would be well used I think. Even if the trains just operated from Finsbury Park to Moorgate it would be a useful service.

A very interesting line - a bit like going back in time to the early 1990s, and its strange being on a main line train on a line which is more suited to tube trains.

Offline asw909

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:39:53 PM »
As a regular user (and commuter) on the line from Finsbury Park to Moorgate, there is a simple reason why it is only M-F - it is almost entirely a commuter line. Peak flows are very high indeed (every five minutes both directions across the peaks, six car 313s all the way), while out of the peaks the x10min service is near deserted.

Drayton Park, while perhaps useful for Arsenal, barely has the capacity/space to cope with football flows - Finsbury Park and Arsenal stations usually run with contraflow set-ups on matchdays, while H&I has now had a new exit and more space upstairs at long last - and unless more opens in the City at weekends, I honestly can't see any justification coming any time soon for weekend opening.

It would be nice if the Network South East adorned platforms on the line were updated, mind...

Offline hobohippie95

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 6
  • London trolleybus 1812 arriving at the EATM
    • East Anglian Transport Museum Website
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 09:09:35 PM »
So i suppose it's still looking pretty much like MSTS!
Last bus trips:
603 to transport museum
603 to lowestoft bus station
1A to denes high school.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 515
    • Company website
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 01:47:39 PM »
I posted back in December (sure I did) as the line is now running seven days a week.
Early days yet but a good handful on most trains, not as good as weekday peak naturally.

Offline asw909

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 04:58:23 PM »
I posted back in December (sure I did) as the line is now running seven days a week.
Early days yet but a good handful on most trains, not as good as weekday peak naturally.

Indeed - certainly the late-night link to Old Street (and thus the Shoreditch district) appears very popular so far.

It is still heavily-skewed towards peak usage, and I'm sure (having now been a regular on this line for about six years from Finsbury Park into Moorgate for work) that peak loadings are now higher than ever. The 313s are now very shabby, and failures are sadly more common than they should be - the new Class 700/2s cannot come soon enough...