Author Topic: DECKER BUS DELIGHTS tour - Saturday 28th September 2013  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
DECKER BUS DELIGHTS tour - Saturday 28th September 2013
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:36:07 pm »
Saturday 28th September 2013 - Decker Bus Delights

This is the second tour to be ran by "East Coast Regional Bus Tours".  Apologies for the slightly short notice, the organisation of this tour has been delayed while I negotiated details with the operator for us to get a more affordable price.

Pick-ups:
1. Decker Bus depot in Whittlesey (PE7 2EX, unit 70-72 Aaron Road Industrial Estate). Decker Bus are happy to accomodate parking at the depot.  Please make sure you park as directed by our member of Decker Bus staff - there is a pay-to-use car park right next to the depot; Decker Bus have advised that free parking is available. The first bus will depart from the depot at 9:30am
2. Whittlesey Market Place, 9:35am (Served by Judds Travel service 701.  I have timed the tour so that people can use the 9:00am service 701 departure from Queensgate in order to join the tour here.  Stagecoach services 31/33 also run every 30min from Peterborough Queensgate.)
3.  Peterborough Rail Station, 10am.  Pick up will be the X1 stop - please note that this is not a photo stop, and that quick boarding would be appreciated.  There will be a photo stop on the way back to the depot.

Fares: £17.50 adults, £15 concession card holders, £12.50 children with an adult (children must be aged 16 or under)
Fares are to cover hire/driver/fuel costs.  It is important that the trip receives enough support to cover these costs.

All are welcome and there is no need to pre-book. If you are coming by train, should you be unfortunate enough to experience a delay, it is very easy for us to briefly divert from the itinerary in order to pick up at Whittlesey Market Place (which you can reach through catching the regular services 31/33/701 from Queensgate Bus Station) or Whittlesey Rail Station (it gets a two hourly service, due out of March at 0915/1115/1315/etc and out of Peterborough at 0945/1145/1345/etc). Simply text/call me or someone else who is on the tour and I am happy to adjust the day to enable you to join us.

The aim of the trip is to photograph and ride the vehicles Decker Bus have to offer. The vehicles involved are hard to find in normal service these days. I have planned a full itinerary for the day. It is planned that we will use 6 vehicles on a selection of scenic routes around rural Fenland. A lunch stop is planned in Ramsey at c.1335.

As some of you may be aware, Decker Bus have a fleet that changes suddenly and regularly.  The vehicles I have requested to use are:
2 out of VIL 8682, N293 CKB and N295 CKB - All N/C Palatine II bodied Volvo Olympians new to MTL North and latterly with Arriva North West (fleet numbers 3293/3295/3298).
P492 MBY - Alexander-bodied Volvo Olympian new to Metrobus as AV12
E333 MSG - new to Lothian Buses (fleet number 333).  This vehicle has been extensively refurbished since leaving Lothian's open top fleet.  This vehicle will be utilised on one of the longest routes planned.  The vehicle is only part open top, so if the weather is not kind to us, there will still be ample seats "indoors" for everyone.
"Surprise" double decker - I'm advertising it as this so as not to mislead people.  It may be the 4th ex-MTL OIympian.  It may be the ex-Stagecoach Volvo Olympian I spotted in the yard a week or so ago.  It may be an ex-Anglian Bus Olympian originally from Dublin Bus (which I've only tonight gathered has very recently joined the fleet).  It something that is not in the fleet yet.  I hope to confirm what vehicle I plan to use for this trip in the week preceding the tour, at the point I make final preparations with Decker Bus management.
7195 BY - the only remaining ex-MOD Dennis Javelin still in the fleet (usage subject to it not having left the fleet by then!).  This will be the last vehicle of the day, and upon leaving the depot it will go direct to Whittlesey Market Square, arriving at c.16:25 and allowing people to leave the tour to catch the Judds service 701 back to Queensgate (the 701 is due out at 1630 and will be the other vehicle on the service to the one that worked the 0900 out of Queensgate - singles and returns are available on this service).

I will endeavour to use the vehicles listed above, however we may have to substitute another vehicle if one is not available. The trip will allow time for photography at Decker Bus' depot. It would be appreciated if people bring hi-viz vests for this.

There will be a twell time between each vehicle, as I've arranged for it to be a one-man-operated day to keep costs affordable for you all.  The driver has to open up/lock up the depot during each vehicle change.

Drop-offs are scheduled to be:
Whittlesey Market Place - c.1625
Peterborough Rail Station - c.1700
Decker Bus depot in Whittlesey - c.1730
I will make sure people do not miss the 701 if I am aware they wish to catch it.

Please do not contact the operator as this is a privately organised trip, however I'll happily answer any further questions at: grpalmer1984@googlemail.com

I hope to see several of you on the 28th!

Regards,
Graeme Palmer
East Coast Regional Bus Tours

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 134
    • The Wakefield Files
Re: DECKER BUS DELIGHTS tour - Saturday 28th September 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 08:46:11 am »
I won't be able to make this one mate.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 05:14:41 pm »
Disgraceful, busman!

Adam Dowling

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 11:07:05 am »
Should be able to make this one  - depending on work commitments!

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 477
    • Company website
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:30:22 pm »
P492 MBY - Alexander-bodied Volvo Olympian new to Metrobus as AV12

Close! New to Metroline
Mrs Suzy Scott
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF
MD of Here To There Publishing Ltd

Find all my current and recent photos at HertsBus & ScotBus - now online![/b][/color]

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:37:05 pm »
Typo - I did know it was ex-Metroline!!!

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 02:01:38 am »

This is the second tour to be ran by "East Coast Regional Bus Tours".

Pick-ups:
1. Decker Bus depot in Whittlesey (PE7 2EX, unit 70-72 Aaron Road Industrial Estate). Decker Bus are happy to accomodate parking at the depot.  Please make sure you park as directed by our member of Decker Bus staff - there is a pay-to-use car park right next to the depot; Decker Bus have advised that free parking is available. The first bus will depart from the depot at 9:30am
2. Whittlesey Market Place, 9:35am (Served by Judds Travel service 701.  I have timed the tour so that people can use the 9:00am service 701 departure from Queensgate in order to join the tour here.  Stagecoach services 31/33 also run every 30min from Peterborough Queensgate.)
3.  Peterborough Rail Station, 10am.  Pick up will be the X1 stop - please note that this is not a photo stop, and that quick boarding would be appreciated.  There will be a photo stop on the way back to the depot.

Fares: £17.50 adults, £15 concession card holders, £12.50 children with an adult (children must be aged 16 or under)
Fares are to cover hire/driver/fuel costs.  It is important that the trip receives enough support to cover these costs.

All are welcome and there is no need to pre-book. If you are coming by train, should you be unfortunate enough to experience a delay, it is very easy for us to briefly divert from the itinerary in order to pick up at Whittlesey Market Place (which you can reach through catching the regular services 31/33/701 from Queensgate Bus Station) or Whittlesey Rail Station (it gets a two hourly service, due out of March at 0915/1115/1315/etc and out of Peterborough at 0945/1145/1345/etc). Simply text/call me or someone else who is on the tour and I am happy to adjust the day to enable you to join us.

The aim of the trip is to photograph and ride the vehicles Decker Bus have to offer. The vehicles involved are hard to find in normal service these days. I have planned a full itinerary for the day. It is planned that we will use at least 6 vehicles on a selection of scenic routes around rural Fenland.

Following requests and to help timings work a little comfier on paper, the lunch stop will be at either Whittlesey or Serpentine Green in Peterborough (probably the latter).  It will still be at c.1335.

As some of you may be aware, Decker Bus have a fleet that changes suddenly and regularly.  The vehicles I have requested to use are:
2 out of VIL 8682, N293 CKB and N295 CKB - All N/C Palatine II bodied Volvo Olympians new to MTL North and latterly with Arriva North West (fleet numbers 3293/3295/3298).
P492 MBY - Alexander-bodied Volvo Olympian new to Metroline as AV12
E333 MSG - new to Lothian Buses (fleet number 333).  This vehicle has been extensively refurbished since leaving Lothian's open top fleet.  Weather permitting, this vehicle will be utilised on the longest route planned.  The vehicle is only part open top, so if the weather is not kind to us, there will still be ample seats "indoors" for everyone.
"Surprise" double decker - it is expected this will be a vehicle that had not joined the fleet at the time of booking.
7195 BY - the only remaining ex-MOD Dennis Javelin still in the fleet (usage subject to it not having left the fleet by then!).  This will be the last vehicle of the day, and upon leaving the depot it will go direct to Whittlesey Market Square, arriving at c.16:25 and allowing people to leave the tour to catch the Judds service 701 back to Queensgate (the 701 is due out at 1630 and will be the other vehicle on the service to the one that worked the 0900 out of Queensgate - singles and returns are available on this service).

I am going to finalise plans with Decker Bus on Monday night, so will get the "Surprise" double decker confirmed then and also confirm that the vehicles advertised are expected to be available for use on the day.  A final email will go out midweek to confirm final plans.

I will endeavour to use the vehicles listed above, however we may have to substitute another vehicle if one is not available. In visiting Decker Bus on Monday night, the likelihood of will obviously be reduced significantly.  The trip will allow time for photography at Decker Bus' depot. It would be appreciated if people bring hi-viz vests for this.

There will be a twell time between each vehicle, as I've arranged for it to be a one-man-operated day to keep costs affordable for you all.  The driver has to open up/lock up the depot during each vehicle change.

I will make sure people do not miss the 701 if I am aware they wish to catch it.

Please do not contact the operator as this is a privately organised trip, however I'll happily answer any further questions at: grpalmer1984@googlemail.com

I hope to see several of you on the 28th!

Regards,
Graeme Palmer

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
FINAL DETAILS: DECKER BUS DELIGHTS tour - Saturday 28th September 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:11:37 pm »

This is the second tour to be ran by "East Coast Regional Bus Tours".

Pick-ups:
1. Decker Bus depot in Whittlesey (PE7 2EX, unit 70-72 Aaron Road Industrial Estate). Decker Bus have indicated that the gravel car park next to the depot is in fact free and that no one should be charged.  The first bus will depart from the depot at 9:30am
2. Whittlesey Market Place, 9:35am.  I have timed the tour so that people can use the 9:00am service 701 departure from Queensgate in order to join the tour here.  I have also now arranged that this diagram on the 701 be operated by R562 DRP (ex-Stagecoach East 16212, an Alexander RL bodied Volvo Olympian) - this is a recent addition to the Judds fleet and is literally fresh out the paint shop!  A single is £1.90 and a return is £3.60.  Stagecoach services 31/33 also serve Whittlesey.
3.  Peterborough Rail Station, 10am.  Pick up will be the X1 stop - please note that this is not a photo stop, and that quick boarding would be appreciated as First have a service departing from the stop shortly after this time.  There will be a photo stop on the way back to the depot.

Fares: £17.50 adults, £15 concession card holders, £12.50 children with an adult (children must be aged 16/under)

All are welcome and there is no need to pre-book. If you are coming by train, should you be unfortunate enough to experience a delay, it is very easy for us to briefly divert from the itinerary in order to pick up at Whittlesey Market Place (catch services 31/33/701 from Queensgate Bus Station) or Whittlesey Rail Station (it gets a two hourly service, due out of March at 0915/1115/1315/etc and out of Peterborough at 0945/1145/1345/etc). Simply text/call me or someone else who is on the tour and I am happy to adjust the day to enable you to join us.

The aim of the trip is to photograph and ride the vehicles Decker Bus have to offer a selection of scenic routes around rural Fenland.  Lunch is at Serpentine Green in Peterborough at c.1335.

The vehicles I have requested to use are:

VIL 8682, N293 CKB and N295 CKB - All N/C Palatine II bodied Volvo Olympians new to MTL North and latterly with Arriva North West (fleet numbers 3293/3295/3298).
    Alexander Belfast RH bodied Volvo Olympian HIL 7618 (new as 96-D-306, also previously registered as P476 SWC), ex-Anglian Bus vehicle 507 and new to Dublin Bus as RA306.
    Northern Counties Palatine I bodied Volvo Olympian P817 GMU, ex-Stagecoach and having gone through fleetnumbers VN17, 617 and 16017 during it's time with Stagecoach.
    E333 MSG - new to Lothian Buses (fleet number 333).  This vehicle has been extensively refurbished since leaving Lothian's open top fleet.  Weather permitting, this vehicle will be utilised on the longest route planned.  The vehicle is only part open top, so if the weather is not kind to us, there will still be ample seats "indoors" for everyone.
    7195 BY - the only remaining ex-MOD Dennis Javelin still in the fleet.  This will be the last vehicle of the day, and upon leaving the depot it will go direct to Whittlesey Market Square, arriving at c.16:25 and allowing people to leave the tour to catch the Judds service 701 back to Queensgate (the 701 is due out at 1630 and will be the other vehicle on the service to the one that worked the 0900 out of Queensgat

**P492 MBY will NOT be used as it has left the fleet.**

I will endeavour to use the vehicles listed above, however we may have to substitute another vehicle if one is not available. The trip will allow time for photography at Decker Bus' depot. It would be appreciated if people bring hi-viz vests for this.

Please do not contact the operator as this is a privately organised trip, however I'll happily answer any further questions at:
grpalmer1984@googlemail.com

I hope to see several of you on Saturday!

Regards,
Graeme Palmer

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 07:24:37 pm »
Thanks to Graeme for organising this, and to all the staff who helped. Their help was over and above the call of duty...  :D
Mrs Suzy Scott

Find all my current and recent photos at HertsBus & ScotBus - now online![/b][/color]

Offline bristolsrus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 240
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 10:09:25 pm »
I too thoroughly enjoyed the tour today, although I bailed out early , it was great to have a look in the yard, as it was one I had never been to before.   The questions is, were or rather are HIL6577, A 8EAD & M111EAD Ikarus bodied DAF's, or are they something totally different - the last time I saw these reg's they were on totally different vehicles !   The same goes for 8098NK, I haven't a clue on this one I either !  Its not an Ikarus bodied DAF, I am fairly sure !  Any info would be much appreciated,

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 10:46:11 pm »
I too thoroughly enjoyed the tour today, although I bailed out early , it was great to have a look in the yard, as it was one I had never been to before.   The questions is, were or rather are HIL6577, A 8EAD & M111EAD Ikarus bodied DAF's, or are they something totally different - the last time I saw these reg's they were on totally different vehicles !   The same goes for 8098NK, I haven't a clue on this one I either !  Its not an Ikarus bodied DAF, I am fairly sure !  Any info would be much appreciated,

Cheers,

Chris

Went through the semi-current Circle stuff i.e. up to the ns that was posted out a week ago - and it now resembles a pen testing sheet!

Seriously, will decode it all and put together an updated list.
Mrs Suzy Scott

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 01:09:17 am »
You missed jacket potato bolognase and the open topper party bus!

Cheers,

Chris