Author Topic: Forum visit to Nottingham City Transport, Saturday 2nd April 2016  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 514
    • Company website
The first of our 2016 visits are planned for Saturday 2nd April 2016. We shall be visiting the very central premises of Nottingham City Transport, which is now part of the extended ‘Forum area.

Our schedule below gives details of connections, which can be had from the majority of the usual points. The timetable is designed so that passengers can take the Centrebus “Five Counties” Services 9/19 from Peterborough to Nottingham. As an alternative, members can make this journey on East Midlands Trains if you prefer. The latter can be used if you want to have more time before or after in Nottingham.

In any case, we shall meet at Nottingham, Broadmarsh Bus Station, outside the Nottingham City Council information office, in time  for 11.40 sharp. This is less than 200meters walk from the rail station – see http://tinyurl.com/jaakp6r for an idea.

We shall take one of the City Loop buses (whichever turns up first at stops two stops from Broadmarsh to George Street (£1.10 single, £3.50 all day or £4.50 Kangaroo all-operator ticket, ENCTS passes valid) then a walk of about 300 meters to the garage. We will then proceed to the garage for a one-hour or so visit, which means we will have 12.00-13.00ish. We will be leaving by 13.30 at the latest to get back in time for the last connecting bus at 14.35 from Nottingham Broadmarsh on the 9/19 to Peterborough. The trains will run back at least hourly into the evening, if you wish to remain in Nottingham longer.

There will be no charge for this visit, other than paying your own transport costs to get there. I’ve not researched car park / park & ride for this one, but you should get plenty information via http://tinyurl.com/zmr7f7l

Hi-Viz will be required, and Suzy will have a few for borrowing.

Want to come? Just send me a Private Message with your name, mobile phone number, email address, how many people, and whether or not you need a hi-viz. Bookings close on Monday 28th March 2016. This trip is open to everyone, Forum members or not, and there are no restrictions on the numbers who can  attend.

Nottingham City Transport Visit – Saturday 2nd April 2016

Northampton, Bus Station         06.00         X4
Peterborough, Bus Station         08.27         change to 9/19

Cambridge, Rail Station         06.57         CrossCountry Trains
Peterborough, Rail Station         07.50         change to 9/19 or EMT

Welwyn Garden City, Rail Station      07.02         GreatNorthern
Peterborough, Rail Station         08.06

THEN

Peterborough, bus station         08.40         9/19
Nottingham, Broadmarsh         11.31      

OR

Peterborough, Rail Station         08.28      09.28    East Mids Trains
Nottingham, Rail Station         09.35      10.35   

THEN

Nottingham, Broadmarsh         c11.40   City Loop then Walk
Nottingham, NCT depot         c11.50

Nottingham, NCT depot         12.00 arrive
Nottingham, NCT depot         13.30 depart

Nottingham, NCT depot         c13.45
Nottingham, Broadmarsh         c14.00

Nottingham, Broadmarsh         14.35         19/9
Peterborough, Bus Station         17.35

OR
Nottingham, Rail Station         14.36    hourly   East Midlands Trains
Peterborough, Rail Station         15.38 hourly

THEN

Peterborough, Rail Station         16.15    hourly   CrossCountry
Cambridge, Rail Station         17.08 hourly

Peterborough, Rail Station         15.46    16.16   Great Northern
Welwyn Garden City (*chg Hitchin)   16.53* 17.23

Peterborough, Queensgate         17.30    18.40   Service X4
Nottingham, Drapery            20.03 21.11

EDIT: fixed links to allow the rest of the content to be seen

« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:47:32 PM by Suzy Scott »

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
Re: Forum visit to Nottingham City Transport, Saturday 2nd April 2016
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
It has been brought to my atttention that it is possibile, for people from Northampton, to get two more hours in bed, and still get to Broad Marsh ten minutes before the 9/19 arrives! This can be done taking Stagecoach X7 from Northampton (dep 08.01), then Kinchbus Skylink to Loughborough and finally Kinchbus 9 to Nottingham Broadmarsh Bus Station.

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 297
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 09:13:19 AM »
Compliments to Suzy for arranging such an interesting visit to the NCT city centre garage.

We were looked after by the NCT Marketing Manager who showed us around the garage and workshop areas plus the control room where we saw the bank of computer screens showing the positions of the buses in service. As we walked round there were many interesting questions and answers about the workings of such a business.

Thank you Suzy for your efforts.

Some of my photographs of the visit may be seen at:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/882078

My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 02:38:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone who posted here, and elsewhere, about their good visit.
I Have passed onto the thanks from everyone to the company, via Social Media.

================
Hello! I represent the Anglia & Thames Valley Bus Forum, who had a visit to your Parliament Street garage on Saturday 2nd April.

The tour was comprehensive, informative, and the marketing manager doing the guiding  was very patient and knowledgeable. Normally we hear good things every trip, but we’ve had almost  everyone ask that I pass on our best wishes to your marketing manager (Anthony Carver-Smith) who did the guiding, and gave up his Saturday for a few hours.

p.s. Personally, I loved your April Fools dog chipping story too, and this was the same gent who showed us around.