Author Topic: Whippet Happenings 2017  (Read 13596 times)

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 32
Re: Whippet Happenings 2017
« Reply #90 on: August 18, 2017, 08:34:29 pm »
It was on the U - Whippet even tweeted about it: https://twitter.com/GoWhippet/status/898556472707211264

Presumably either working short extras or going to Addenbrookes down Hills Road.

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 337
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2017, 12:49:54 pm »
Cancellations for routes 1  1A  2  5  7A  8  9  12  15  16  18  21  45/45A  114  117  175 and 476/477  are on the latest N&Ps

There are details of the replacement services available on the Cambs CC website

follow the link below, or if that does not work go to the Cambs CC website and the front page has a 'buses' heading and if you follow that through
the various headings you should find it.

https://ccc-live.storage.googleapis.com/upload/www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/residents/travel-roads-and-parking/Whippet%20September%20service%20changes%20table%2022-08-17.pdf?inline=true

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 430
  • -Receive: 126
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2017, 01:00:02 pm »
There are details of the replacement services available on the Cambs CC website

follow the link below, or if that does not work go to the Cambs CC website and the front page has a 'buses' heading and if you follow that through
the various headings you should find it.

https://ccc-live.storage.googleapis.com/upload/www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/residents/travel-roads-and-parking/Whippet%20September%20service%20changes%20table%2022-08-17.pdf?inline=true

The link worked perfectly to generate a PDF.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 104
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2017, 04:45:47 pm »
It's going to be interesting to see what the A changes are.  I hope they're not at the expense of existing services!

Edit:

!!!  :o  No tender received for one of the routes???  Now if that's not evidence of failure of competition!!!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 430
  • -Receive: 126
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2017, 07:42:01 pm »
No tender received for one of the routes???  Now if that's not evidence of failure of competition!!!

Well, there's a thought!

Surely, the whole point of competition is that what the public sees as a bus is actually a mobile money-box. Operators should be happy to run that around such streets, major roads and motorways as result in people putting money in that money box. Equally, if some public body says, "Forget the idea of people putting money in your money-box. Just drivie round the streets carrying empty air. We'll pay you a fee for that." Surely operators would be perfectly happy to bid?

So, maybe, just maybe, it doesn't quite work that way.

So maybe, just maybe, the current model of bus operations is broken.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline wadey88

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2017, 09:02:13 pm »
Great to see dews buses gaining some however it's a shame they are not going into Cambridge in the 1a.
Is that because it is now a council contract and not a commercial route?
I don't know if they still do it but when they took over the 106 (i think it was Cambridge to ely via cottenham and haddenham) it was a shame they stopped going to Cambridge.

Hopefully we will see more photos of dews buses. Wonder what they will be using???
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 09:29:39 pm by wadey88 »

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 134
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:54 pm »
Great to see dews buses gaining some however it's a shame they are not going into Cambridge in the 1a.
Is that because it is now a council contract and not a commercial route?
I don't know if they still do it but when they took over the 106 (i think it was Cambridge to ely via cottenham and haddenham) it was a shame they stopped going to Cambridge.

Hopefully we will see more photos of dews buses. Wonder what they will be using???
The bus to Ely is sure to feature on some of the workings. Not sure if they have any other low floor vehicles.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 345
  • -Receive: 21
  • Lovely Leyland Leopards :-)
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2017, 08:26:47 am »
I think with Whippets increased C; the Huntingdon to Cambridge X3; the Stagecoach Citi 5 from Bar Hill and Dews 1A to Bar Hill it's pretty much  covered. Shame that through tickets for some (e.g. where they need to change at Bar Hill) will be via different operators and so at the very best a more expensive MultiBus ticket will be required.

I'm not sure that Whippet have done themselves many favours. Interesting to note that commercially Stagecoach are starting one morning Busway D in Hilton then Elsworth/Boxworth and then onto the Busway at St Ives with one return evening journey. Striking right in the heartland of Whippet's former homelands.

What with the Whippet 8; the Stagecoach D and Dews 9 then ironically the likes of Elsworth find themselves with three different operators whereas Hemingford Grey has just the service 9 running twice per week i.e. Monday & Friday and yet just a mile or two away there are a multitude of services running by/near but just a little too far by foot to get them. Surely Hemingford Grey/Abbots deserve far better!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 08:28:30 am by gc_bus »

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 79
    • My Flickr
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2017, 09:10:32 am »
As far as the Dews "service bus" fleet goes, they have Pointer Dart BU52ELY as mentioned above by Busman.

In addition they have at least one short wheelbase Enviro200, in a plain white wrapper so assume it's a dealer loan, and then a handful of SLF 'deckers used for schools - although I'd imagine most of them aren't DDA compliant.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:13:27 am by Palatine One »

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2017, 10:24:25 am »
What with the Whippet 8; the Stagecoach D and Dews 9 then ironically the likes of Elsworth find themselves with three different operators whereas Hemingford Grey has just the service 9 running twice per week i.e. Monday & Friday and yet just a mile or two away there are a multitude of services running by/near but just a little too far by foot to get them. Surely Hemingford Grey/Abbots deserve far better!

When I lived in Huntingdon I used to try and take rush hour buses via the Hemingfords, as they were always empty and peaceful...

Offline wadey88

• Thank You
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2017, 11:32:11 am »

Offline steve

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2017, 10:53:26 pm »
I'm not sure that Whippet have done themselves many favours. Interesting to note that commercially Stagecoach are starting one morning Busway D in Hilton then Elsworth/Boxworth and then onto the Busway at St Ives with one return evening journey. Striking right in the heartland of Whippet's former homelands.

I don't mean to be rude, but it's hardly striking into the heartland of anyone's former homelands. Stagecoach are running a single return journey from those villages, only 5 days a week, that'll take just over an hour to get into Cambridge. In theory you can drive the same journey in 20 mins (I'm aware that's down the a14, of course).

I can't see large queues at the bus stop at 0644 each morning.

The trouble with the many, many variations of peak/evening extensions off the busway is that none of them are attractive. Some villages have just one or two journeys a day. For others, the route includes a full diversion around St Ives making it desperately long and unappealing. And some, like this new one, start off by taking people in the opposite direction to that which they want to go in.

Still, better than nothing I suppose; we should be grateful!

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2017, 11:48:07 pm »
The arrival times in Cambridge aren't amazing either :-(

Having thought over it... I think I'm disappointed they just tried to recreate Whippet's network to a great extent.  That model is clearly broken.  I think this was an unmissable opportunity to set up a demand responsive service over the area?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:51:29 pm by barryb »

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2017, 02:28:27 pm »
Just as a reminder that it's the last day today of operation for some Whippet run services. See here for further details:

http://www.go-whippet.co.uk/changes-local-bus-services-2-september-2017/

Ironically there are a couple of journeys being missed out this afternoon due to "driver shortages".  See the Twitter feed on the Whippet website: http://www.go-whippet.co.uk/

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2017, 09:20:14 am »
Interesting video article on from the BBC Cambs website filmed on board a Whippet guided bus:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-cambridgeshire-41189349/guided-bus-drivers-in-cambridge-receive-speed-awareness-training

Offline busman

• Thank You
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2017, 05:22:59 pm »
The U service was expanded to take in the new township of Edington today. The service no longer enters the Madingley road P&R but stops by a new bus stop just off Madingley road before heading around Edington before coming out.
The P&R site can be seen in the background behind BT66 MVJ. There is a walk way for passengers to enter & leave the car park.

Offline busman

• Thank You
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #106 on: September 09, 2017, 08:50:51 am »
Free bus rides today on the U and the electric bus is likely to be in service between the railway station and Edington
Check out their website
https://twitter.com/GoWhippet?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.go-whippet.co.uk%2F

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 348
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2017, 12:30:45 pm »
Confirmed.  Electric bus is on U today. .

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2017, 09:05:56 am »
The electric Yutong demonstrator was on the 17:15 X3 out of Cambridge yesterday.

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2017, 10:24:15 pm »
Meanwhile, based on Whippet's own Twitter feed and FB comments from customers, things don't look to be going very well with various timetabled departures  not running often cited as due to "driver sickness/shortage". The local South Cambs MP (Heidi Allan) is taking many complaints and is contacting Whippet directly.

Offline wadey88

• Thank You
« Reply #110 on: October 04, 2017, 05:46:43 pm »
Yeah I've seen that. Their Twitter account looks like it just blames the drivers for not turning up. They then don't seem interested. It seems to come across as 'We what can you do'.

Something I notice both whippet and stagecoach do when replying on Twitter within a thread they already replied is like the last tweet that the customer sent they reply to it as if it was the first message again.

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2017, 05:54:26 pm »
Yet more services not run today including the 07:25 196 from Waterbeach; the 10:10 X3 from Huntingdon to Cambridge and the 11:10 X3 return back to Huntingdon. I think Whippet will soon be in trouble with the authorities at this rate. So sorry to see this.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2017, 09:51:27 pm »
Not running a route like the 196 is terrible :-(

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 82
  • -Receive: 338
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2017, 09:36:35 pm »
Not running a route like the 196 is terrible :-(
Not condoning the non-running, but its another route where a minibus is a sufficiently sized adequate vehicle. The average amount of passengers on this journey being 6 to 10. Just cannot see why Cambs County Council don't specify an operator to use a minibus ?? After all, in some parts of the UK & according to reports in Buses Magazine, minibuses are making a comeback ?? Stagecoach are doing so in Ashford, Kent; Arriva in Macclesfield/Winsford, Cheshire; with McGills now ordering 20 for Ayrshire. Could be, its come full circle, and this will now be the thing for providing a needed service on the unviable routes (where large buses are used) ?

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 82
  • -Receive: 338
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2017, 09:41:11 pm »
FLEET UPDATE.

There has been a lot going on, with the Company giving up some routes & rationalising to improve efficiency & viability, that it was
uncertain, for a while, how it would affect the fleet profile ? However, this is now the current picture or situation !

National Express liveried & loaned Caetanos FJ 12FYN, FJ 13ECC, FJ 13ECN & FJ13ECT have now returned to their owner.
Likewise any 60-plate Volvo B9R Caetano  have also returned to their owner.- except one NX99  FJ60EGE (ex-Johnsons)
which is now owned !

On the bus side, a rationalisation of the route network, resulting from passenger underusage & hence non-viable operation, has lead to
the withdrawal of several vehicles, as follows :-

WS308  AF52VMD Scania L94 Wright saloon - has now been disposed of, along with WS322 LK03NKM
Dennis Dart Caetano. The latter (WS322) is now believed to be with A2B of Babraham, Cambridge.
WD406  X57XAW Volvo B7TL ALX400  has also departed the fleet.
WD405  SK52URV a similar Volvo B7TL ALX400 is also now withdrawn, along with all the remaining Scania/Wrights & Dennis Dart/Caetanos
viz WS310/1/3  X471/2/3AHE & WS319/20/1 LK03NKH/J/LI.
In fact I have been told WS311 X472AHE might also have recently departed the fleet.

This now leaves the active fleet as :- WG101-11 the Guided Bus Volvo B7 or B8 RLE/Wrights
                                                      WC203 Volvo B10M Jonckheere
                                                      WS316-8 Dennis Dart Enviro 200s
                                                    WS324 Dennis Enviro 300
                                                    WD429-45 Volvo B7TL Wright Geminis
                                                    WM501/2 Transit MBs (crew shuttles for Nat Exp )
                                                    NX08-13/17-23/99 National Express Caetanos

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2017, 06:13:57 am »
The average amount of passengers on this journey being 6 to 10. Just cannot see why Cambs County Council don't specify an operator to use a minibus ??

A large taxi could almost cope, making it one of those routes where it seems like the area could maybe benefit from DRT feeding into a joined up network?  They could very probably offer both more journeys and attract more passengers, and do so at lower cost?

I feel Whippet abandoning so many contacts at the same time was The Big Opportunity to start looking at something a bit different!

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2017, 08:36:27 am »
A large taxi could almost cope, making it one of those routes where it seems like the area could maybe benefit from DRT feeding into a joined up network?  They could very probably offer both more journeys and attract more passengers, and do so at lower cost?

I feel Whippet abandoning so many contacts at the same time was The Big Opportunity to start looking at something a bit different!

Indeed, we are now left with a somewhat hotchpotch offering of services. The Hemingfords have particularly suffered by comparison despite many services running a mile or so away from them. Lack of joined up thinking/information between companies/council and general road users making the car ever more essential yet adding to the problems of road congestion which is turn makes bus services if less of an option.

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2017, 07:30:51 pm »
However, good to see that Whippet are running a recruitment drive and paying a higher hourly rate of £10 for local bus service drivers. See here:

http://www.go-whippet.co.uk/workforus/bus-drivers/

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2017, 08:42:51 pm »
FLEET UPDATE.

There has been a lot going on, with the Company giving up some routes & rationalising to improve efficiency & viability, that it was
uncertain, for a while, how it would affect the fleet profile ? However, this is now the current picture or situation !

National Express liveried & loaned Caetanos FJ 12FYN, FJ 13ECC, FJ 13ECN & FJ13ECT have now returned to their owner.
Likewise any 60-plate Volvo B9R Caetano  have also returned to their owner.- except one NX99  FJ60EGE (ex-Johnsons)
which is now owned !

On the bus side, a rationalisation of the route network, resulting from passenger underusage & hence non-viable operation, has lead to
the withdrawal of several vehicles, as follows :-

WS308  AF52VMD Scania L94 Wright saloon - has now been disposed of, along with WS322 LK03NKM
Dennis Dart Caetano. The latter (WS322) is now believed to be with A2B of Babraham, Cambridge.
WD406  X57XAW Volvo B7TL ALX400  has also departed the fleet.
WD405  SK52URV a similar Volvo B7TL ALX400 is also now withdrawn, along with all the remaining Scania/Wrights & Dennis Dart/Caetanos
viz WS310/1/3  X471/2/3AHE & WS319/20/1 LK03NKH/J/LI.
In fact I have been told WS311 X472AHE might also have recently departed the fleet.

This now leaves the active fleet as :- WG101-11 the Guided Bus Volvo B7 or B8 RLE/Wrights
                                                      WC203 Volvo B10M Jonckheere
                                                      WS316-8 Dennis Dart Enviro 200s
                                                    WS324 Dennis Enviro 300
                                                    WD429-45 Volvo B7TL Wright Geminis
                                                    WM501/2 Transit MBs (crew shuttles for Nat Exp )
                                                    NX08-13/17-23/99 National Express Caetanos

I saw one of the Wright / Scanias working in Huntingdon this week... I don't remember the reg or fleet number though, I was driving!.

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 216
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2017, 08:12:13 am »
I saw NX99 in Mildenhall on Friday (3 November) operating the National Express London service 490. It was plain white with no National Express or other graphics.

Is this vehicle treated as a spare with it having such a high fleet number compared to the other NX prefixed coaches?

David
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101