Author Topic: Complete set of NX timetable / fare chart PDFs  (Read 1716 times)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 102
Complete set of NX timetable / fare chart PDFs
« on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:40 PM »
I found out about this today on another forum:  https://www.nxagents.com/theguide/

Don't know if it was only me that didn't know about it, but it not, ...

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 150
  • -Receive: 301
Re: Complete set of NX timetable / fare chart PDFs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 06:37:25 AM »
I never knew about this. It is a godsend!!

I can't understand why NX has never shown access to this since the demise of the printed coach guide book.

David
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 06:40:22 AM by Spoddendale »
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 03:19:33 PM »
Isn't it amazing?

It just needs an index, and...

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 515
    • Company website
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 12:57:05 PM »
Thanks to BB/GC for posting the links to the NX timetables pages (https://www.nxagents.com/theguide/ ) onto both Forums, which are very useful. This was news to me, but there has been a lot happened in the ten years since the Coach Guide went loose leaf. The one for 2017/2018 (52) was the last hard copy. However, since then, it has been loose-leaf pages, which are available behind a password-protected website, which is also used by agents for sales bookings. The passenger leaflet PDF’s were on the website, and the complete timetables are on Traveline.
When I was at Woottens (we were on the dups/call out list for NX), we had a copy of the first version of all the pages since they went loose leaf, but nothing else (drivers officially needed a farechart and timetable). At a meeting, I asked my boss to ask if we could try and get an update? We did try, but…
After Woottens, I set up Here To There, partially inspired by BB’s pining for a National Express Coach Guide. I approached NX initially to try to see if they could assist with PDF’s etc., but no reply was received again. So we used the Traveline ones. I did try, but… (you might sense a pattern?)
Now, recently, NX were in the midst of refreshing their website, and several timetables appeared to be out of date. I did tweet them to point this out, and ask that they be updated. Well, they sort of complied – eventually deleting the out of date timetables, just leaving the PDF’s that were unchanged! (You can probably guess my thoughts… I did try!) National Express are appearing to phase out leaflets, with many out of print. Except for Airport services, which seem to get a new design! As well as The Guide pages (with Farecharts) the vast majority are now on the NX website once more… http://www.nationalexpress.com/help-and-advice/tickets/about-our-timetables.aspx
Now you can put in a * to see them all.
BB on ATVBF made mention of an Index… well… I enclose the Index done in 2008. See below re an update!
MT on DABF asked if Megabus/Citylink could do one. Citylink used to have their A4 pages on their website, but now they use the folded leaflets instead. Megabus timetables are only on traveline -
http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/se/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST?language=en for Megabus / https://www.travelinescotland.com/lts/#/timetables for Citylink or Joint Venture services.
It barely seems 6 and a half years since the last NX timetable we did! Our company has come on leaps and bounds since then, and I have had various plans for long distance services, to include Index, and our usual features. We have just been very busy! But, I’ve had a look at the PDF’s, and it might now just jump back up the priority queue now that we’ve got the information! So yes I’d like to get one put together one of these years!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:28:50 PM by Suzy Scott »

Offline Tony

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 05:47:24 PM »
Many thanks for the * tip off, i shall find that very useful indeed.... ;-)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
partially inspired by BB’s pining for a National Express Coach Guide.

I'm wondering if I should have another go at finishing the map :-)  The computer it was on broke, and although I had the file backed up the version of programme I used to make it was no longer available and the new version screwed up the spacing on opening.  At the time I didn't have the heart to start again...

Edit: 

I've got it open, but it would cost me £20 to buy a version of the programme that will turn it into a .something_else file.

Hmm... I'll need to do something with that then!  Will need to decide what; it's finished in a rough line from Swansea to Hull.  Not sure if I should finish it with the 2011 data for historical interest then update it, or just start trying to update it (which I suspect will be a sad task that will mainly involve deleting things...). 

The new bit should be much easier to do, as a problem with the Traveline based data was that often it didn't in terms of common parlance correctly identify the town (for example there were places where it would have said the equivalent of "Madingley" rather than "Cambridge" where in that particular place one might have been technically more correct, but everyone would have known it by the equivalent of "Cambridge".
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 07:41:01 PM by barryb »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 808
  • -Receive: 158
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 09:40:38 AM »
I'm wondering if I should have another go at finishing the map :-)  The computer it was on broke, and although I had the file backed up the version of programme I used to make it was no longer available and the new version screwed up the spacing on opening.  At the time I didn't have the heart to start again...

Edit: 

I've got it open, but it would cost me £20 to buy a version of the programme that will turn it into a .something_else file.

Hmm... I'll need to do something with that then!  Will need to decide what; it's finished in a rough line from Swansea to Hull.  Not sure if I should finish it with the 2011 data for historical interest then update it, or just start trying to update it (which I suspect will be a sad task that will mainly involve deleting things...). 

The new bit should be much easier to do, as a problem with the Traveline based data was that often it didn't in terms of common parlance correctly identify the town (for example there were places where it would have said the equivalent of "Madingley" rather than "Cambridge" where in that particular place one might have been technically more correct, but everyone would have known it by the equivalent of "Cambridge".

It might help if you say what format your map’s file is in and your target file format, Barry, and what OS you’re using.

Someone on the Forum might be able to help.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:34:23 PM »
The page has been updated today with some new farecharts.

p.s. If anyone missed out on the first electronic coach guide in 2008 (CG58) before they went down the “until further notice” road… here it is as a ZIP’d set of files!
Too big here naturally so visit this link; https://www.dropbox.com/s/9oyyg4255bvanv0/CGR600%28G53%29.zip?dl=0

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
Updated again today with the first of the March timetables, and some more updated farecharts.
At this time we are assembling another NX / long distance timetable set. to include the February 2018 timetables.  I will intend to put the March stuff we have as "advance information"...
Sx

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 02:27:35 PM »
There is a public larger selection at https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/help/timetables/all-timetables but I would double check those and the CG page, as a couple are not in sync. In relation to our 26th March 2018 coach guide (yes our first one in ages) I hear our sub-ed is almost finished his Index, so we might get it out on presale or sale very soon after.
There is a four volume set this time, but you can always buy the volume you want. The final page splits are about to be finalised in the near future.
Suzy x

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 03:22:58 PM »
I've just added a simple poill - full question is...
… would you be more likely to travel and make more journeys with a bus/coach operator if you could buy a complete hard copy timetable – as opposed to actually having to scramble timetable leaflets here and there, and/or printing the lot online ?
This poll is also being asked on DABF, and I will aggregate your answers. Over the next week, please vote!

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 09:41:34 PM »
I've just added a simple poill - full question is...
… would you be more likely to travel and make more journeys with a bus/coach operator if you could buy a complete hard copy timetable – as opposed to actually having to scramble timetable leaflets here and there, and/or printing the lot online ?
This poll is also being asked on DABF, and I will aggregate your answers. Over the next week, please vote!

To clarify what I've said here - paid could also include free, or free with paying postage, or "20p where sold" (given free to shops for them to charge if they wish).

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Company website
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »
Hard (or CD-ROM) copies are now on sale.... see....  http://angliaandthamesvalleybusforum.com/index.php?topic=8968.msg68245