Author Topic: Stagecoach CAMBRIDGESHIRE happenings 2018  (Read 10802 times)

Offline Peterborough News

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 294
Re: Stagecoach CAMBRIDGESHIRE happenings 2018
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2018, 12:27:33 PM »
MAN/ALX300 trainer 22141 has been returned to Stagecoach Cumbria at Carlisle and replaced on loan at Cambridge with former Manchester Volvo B10M/Alexander PS trainer 20983.

Offline skyLink

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
MAN/ALX300 trainer 22141 has been returned to Stagecoach Cumbria at Carlisle and replaced on loan at Cambridge with former Manchester Volvo B10M/Alexander PS trainer 20983.

Any ideas how long it's down for.
Kind regards
MR S

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2018, 02:21:03 PM »
I believe a couple of months but will check and confirm

Offline Tony

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2018, 06:57:48 PM »
20983 shocked me when it went by Cambridge rail station at 1524 on Tuesday, unfortunately my phone camera didn't start up quick enough hence no pic....

Offline chris johnson

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2018, 08:18:15 AM »
how long is 20983 staying with cambridge lot please
this photo is a 53 reg Trident what I'm on and its 18058 yes it is Chris johnson

Offline skyLink

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 35
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2018, 09:02:21 PM »
how long is 20983 staying with cambridge lot please

Read above man 🤔
Kind regards
MR S

• Thank You
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2018, 11:48:49 AM »
The use of 20983 at Cambridge is likely to be short lived and imminent replacement with 22141 is on the cards.

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 151
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2018, 08:40:19 PM »
The use of 20983 at Cambridge is likely to be short lived and imminent replacement with 22141 is on the cards.

She was still here this weekend.
Photographed this afternoon in the yard.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 151
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2018, 08:41:24 PM »

She was still here this weekend.
Photographed this afternoon in the yard.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 53
Andy Campbell to retire in December
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2018, 06:04:29 PM »
Andy Campbell is to retire in December after 50 years service in the industry. This statement by Stagecoach
https://www.stagecoach.com/media/news-releases/2018/2018-10-22.aspx

Offline John

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2018, 07:44:46 AM »
A great shame, a good bus man that understood the company.   

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2018, 11:12:01 PM »
A great shame, a good bus man that understood the company.

Others may disagree, particularly passengers, Cambell has had a lot of 'stick' from the media recently.

Offline chris johnson

• Thank You
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2018, 01:08:50 PM »
20983 gone back we’re it come from north west
22141 in back of Cambridge yard
15952 doing driving learning bus heading back to the yard
this photo is a 53 reg Trident what I'm on and its 18058 yes it is Chris johnson

Offline Trident 18342 AE55DKF

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2018, 02:36:17 PM »
Others may disagree, particularly passengers, Cambell has had a lot of 'stick' from the media recently.
Those that constantly complain about it should try and run it themselves....

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »
Those that constantly complain about it should try and run it themselves....

Quite. And the local media has daggers out for Stagecoach when the problems are largely local and central government policy.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »
Quite. And the local media has daggers out for Stagecoach when the problems are largely local and central government policy.

Yes the local media and bus users are always 'gunning' for Stagecoach, but its mainly their (Stagecoach) fault. Like the other big operators First, Arriva, Go-Ahead etc their customer relations are zero. Most drivers dont show a friendly face to the customer, wont wait a second or two for someone running for a bus (once the door is closed they wont open it), wont let passengers take some items on the bus, a few weeks ago I witnessed a couple who had a small child with a very small kiddies bike, driver said they dont take bikes, but it was only a little one that would easily have gone into luggage pen. After women asked for the complaints tel number, the driver then phoned the office to get permission to take the bike, he could have used his initiative to defuse the situation. But Stagecoach dont seem to want drivers to use their initiative. They set hard and fast rules and expect drivers to obey them to the letter.
Another thing that winds passengers up is that when they are waiting for a bus thats late or has been cancelled, they see a bus going by with NOT IN SERVICE in the destination. That really does wind people up.
The big boys really do need to get their act together. They need to look at Julian Patterson's Lynx outfit in Norfolk. Julian is a passed master at running bus services which are passenger friendly, run on time with affordable fares.
Sadly yes the government are ultimately to blame for this situation by de-regulating buses. This over the years has seen most independent operators packing in stage carriage routes as the big boys 'bullied' them off the road.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 09:51:51 AM by John Wakefield »

Offline ChilternRover

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2018, 09:56:28 AM »
Perfect assessment, John!

Offline chris johnson

• Thank You
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »
27845 just left Saffron Walden 10:29am to Cambridge nice seeing a single decker bus on the roads in Saffron Walden not a double decker

Offline alan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »
I quite agree with John Wakefield's last sentence regarding the big boys driving the smaller ones off the road but quite honestly I have sympathy for any bus driver in Cambridge today.

Its a different world from even ten years ago & certainly very different from when I drove P/T for Premier Travel many years ago albeit city centre traffic was still heavy & the old Drummer Street Bus station with the express coaches as well quite a challenge.

There is an increasing number of passengers, pedestrians cyclists & motorists who make a bus drivers life hell. Bus drivers & us are all human & cannot always maintain a friendly face following very testing circumstances one after another. Three idiots pulled out straight in front of the bus on one four mile journey I was on last week. As we got off the chap in front of me shook the Drivers hand & said "well done" as he would have wanted to get out & thump at least one of them. Get that all day & it would test the patience of a saint. I still do a bit of voluntary work in Cambridge one day a week taking disabled/infirm people about who cannot access normal public transport and that one day in city centre traffic in Cambridge is enough for me!

Offline essexdragon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2018, 01:37:58 PM »
Sorry, but in the real world isn't running any bus service trying to get a quart out of a pint pot, and something has to give? Of course, not every town or the circumstances of every operator aren't the same, so maybe comparing Stagecoach or First with Lynx is like comparing chalk and cheese, and then complaining they don't taste the same?

Most of us seem to think that money grows on trees, though perhaps for us it always has? In the real world people, and companies, have to try hard to make ends meet. And that means compromises, and what some of us might consider cheating too; but that is getting out into the real world from the comfortable world of the imagination in front of a computer screen. We have the right to complain, of course, and should do so for that is how we achieve improvement; but no-one has a magic wand, not even bus managers. And all of us have made our excuses, at some time or another, but of course we should never treat others as we expect to be treated ourselves. Some things never change. Attitudes, for a start. And that we always look at the past through rose-tinted spectacles (transition adaptive, naturally).  If Hollywood taught us anything it is that the world is divided into goodies and baddies. It isn't; as we used to learn as we (used to) grow up.

The pixies are still hiding that money pot at the end of the rainbow!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:55:00 PM by essexdragon »

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2018, 06:38:21 PM »
There's a much bigger competitor to the little guys than Stagecoach - and that's the private car. Unreliability, stressed drivers, poor service levels and minor operators throwing in the towel are symptoms of various policies - planning housing estates and employment centres that are well nigh impossible to serve by bus, withdrawing support for rural routes so people take the easy way out and drive into the centre rather than to a P&R, house price bubbles (driven by central government policy flogging everything off to overseas investors) pushing people to live ever further from town, and the muppets that seem to block the A14 daily with accidents.

An example - in the evening I get the Milton P&R into town on the way home from work. Most days it's 15 minutes from the A10/A14 roundabout to the busway junction. Then heading out of town on the X5, I watch a solid queue going the other way from the centre all the way out to Madingley P&R. How can you keep a sensible timetable like that? The passengers take their frustrations out on the drivers, the drivers take theirs out on the passengers, and every one turned off the bus makes things that bit worse for everyone.

If it wasn't so expensive I'd be commuting by train SNO - CMB and saving hours a week...

(Edit - tonight it's fireworks in Cambridge. You'd think it would be a perfect opportunity to get a lot of people to one place by bus. But no, the city council has strategically blocked the main bus artery and closed stops all around, causing gridlock)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:42:05 PM by Julia_Hayward »

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2018, 07:52:38 PM »
There is much which is right in Julia Hayward's comment.  One element missed is the action of the major housing developers.  They continually whine about the planning system preventing them from building houses when the top ten developers are sitting on at least four years supply and some more than ten.  Why don't they build, because by limiting supply they can keep the price of houses up.  That enables them to pay big dividends and big bonuses to the bosses.  The headman at Persimmons received a £90m bonus recently. 

Northstowe, ideally suited to benefit from the Busway and not rely on the car, should have been completed by now.  Instead one of the developers responsible for 3,500 houses, has been arguing that they have been called upon to provide too great a proportion of affordable houses.  They base their argument on the cost of infrastructure on surely one of the easiest sites to develop, especially with the proximity of the upgraded A14 and the Busway.

Then we have the actions of Councils like Huntingdonshire.  Faced with the need to provide more housing sites they go for scattering small developments round the villages which are not well served by bus services.  Each house will put one or more cars on already congested roads resulting in even more unreliable bus services in and around our towns. They had the alternative of going for a larger development at Wyton Airfield, with a developer willing to fund a regular bus service from the start.  In the long run, such a development could have sustained a commercial service.  Their excuse - it would have needed some expansion of the A141 and the cost quoted for a single carriageway road, was greater, on a per mile basis, than the new A14(M).

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »
Sadly yes the government are ultimately to blame for this situation by de-regulating buses. This over the years has seen most independent operators packing in stage carriage routes as the big boys 'bullied' them off the road.
As someone who was involved in operating buses and coaches in the pre-deregulated era, it wasn't always so easy as some, looking back through rose tinted spectacles, seem to think.  The reason why some small operators gave up was because they could see that their licences had a value and there were easier ways of utilising that cash than running buses or coaches.

As to bullying that depended to a large extent on the attitude of the traffic commissioners.  I worked for a large BET subsidiary in the sixties and that company, some might think in collusion with the local traffic commissioner's chairman, certainly bullied one of the few independent operators in their area.  The moment that operator applied to expand an existing or for a new road service licence, the story was always the same.  If this application is granted, we shall immediately have to withdraw other rural services.  That argument would be accepted each time.

Later, working for an independent operator, I was involved in traffic court cases where we took on some of the big boys.  We won some of those cases partly because we took an immense amount of care over the preparation of our case, usually seeking out witnesses to support our application and putting together statistics.  This all took time and money, something a really small operator couldn't afford.  I think there were also times that the supercilious attitude of the opposition's representative helped our cause.  They seemed to think they merely had to turn up to see off these guys from Hicksville.

By the time the eighties came round I was working for a local authority so saw through the run up and implementation of deregulation.  It worked well for us - but that, as they say, is another story.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »
As I said in a previous post, something has to happen, it cant carry on as it is with Stagecoach the monopoly player in Cambridgeshire bus services. Something has to change and franchising seems the only real alternative.
Obviously people must be given a better, cheaper, alternative than using their cars, but at the moment the high fares make it in many cases cheaper to use a car. Whilst the Stagecoach Dayrider/ Megarider tickets are fine for regular commuters or those using buses a lot,  individual short distance fares must come down.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:50:52 PM by John Wakefield »

Offline cesar

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2018, 09:17:07 PM »
As I said in a previous post, something has to happen, it cant carry on as it is with Stagecoach the monopoly player in Cambridgeshire bus services. Something has to change and franchising seems the only real alternative.
Obviously people must be given a better, cheaper, alternative than using their cars, but at the moment the high fares make it in many cases cheaper to use a car. Whilst the Stagecoach Dayrider/ Megarider tickets are fine for regular commuters or those using buses a lot,  individual short distance fares must come down.

But someone - whether it be the general taxpayer or motorists through (say) a congestion charge, has to pay for it!! A change to contracting (it's not franchising!!) - will not suddenly cause the magic money tree to blossom more. 

Offline SURREYMAN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2018, 07:32:04 AM »
I find it hard to understand what you are saying, franchising has to be paid for out of public funds.
Public Bodies, Councils etc would be have to be insane to guarantee the costs of running bus services.
Even if franchising went ahead, it would not solve the problems of traffic congestion.
Congestion charging would seem to be the sensible answer to many of Cambridges traffic problems but politically it is electoral suicide.
I don't live anywhere near Cambridge (I did use to deliver to the City some years ago) so can't comment on Stagecoaches local performance, generally they are one of the better operators in the UK, why is there a problem with them being a 'monopoly' ??

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2018, 09:17:29 AM »
I find it hard to understand what you are saying, franchising has to be paid for out of public funds.
Public Bodies, Councils etc would be have to be insane to guarantee the costs of running bus services.
Even if franchising went ahead, it would not solve the problems of traffic congestion.
Congestion charging would seem to be the sensible answer to many of Cambridges traffic problems but politically it is electoral suicide.
I don't live anywhere near Cambridge (I did use to deliver to the City some years ago) so can't comment on Stagecoaches local performance, generally they are one of the better operators in the UK, why is there a problem with them being a 'monopoly' ??

The problem with monopoly's is that they 'call the shots', and only run services that suit them, put up fares as no competition etc etc. There is a Monopoly's Commission who are supposed to keep this in check. 
Problem with  bus services is they are not like shops, where if you dont like the prices or services then you go some where else, you cant do that with bus services.
As for franchising, the services are be paid for from the fares, its just that they will all go into a central fund and the profitable routes will subsidise the unprofitable. The LA are not using public funds to run the services as with the current system where they only take on and fund the unprofitable services that the likes of Stagecoach dont want to run.
There should be no or little top up required by the LA if system was run efficiently and not for profit. Any profit would be ploughed back into the system to fund other routes. It works in London so why not Cambridge?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:20:55 AM by John Wakefield »

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2018, 10:13:58 AM »
The problem with monopoly's is that they 'call the shots', and only run services that suit them, put up fares as no competition etc etc. There is a Monopoly's Commission who are supposed to keep this in check. 
Problem with  bus services is they are not like shops, where if you dont like the prices or services then you go some where else, you cant do that with bus services.
As for franchising, the services are be paid for from the fares, its just that they will all go into a central fund and the profitable routes will subsidise the unprofitable. The LA are not using public funds to run the services as with the current system where they only take on and fund the unprofitable services that the likes of Stagecoach dont want to run.
There should be no or little top up required by the LA if system was run efficiently and not for profit. Any profit would be ploughed back into the system to fund other routes. It works in London so why not Cambridge?
My problem with franchising is that the one example in the UK, namely in London, is costing millions.  Why should Cambridge be any different, just on a smaller scale?  With local authority budgets squeezed to breaking point how could Cambridgeshire take the risk, betting on fares meeting the overall costs?

If you have a single countywide franchise then only the big boys are able to bid for it.  Stagecoach would be in pole position to win because any other operator, Go-Ahead, First Group (perish the thought) for example, would have to provide the infrastructure necessary with all the set up costs.  On the other hand if you split the area into a number of smaller groups of routes so that smaller operators could bid then Stagecoach could still end up with the better routes at the same time having an income guaranteed by the local authority.  If you have a multiplicity of operators then the authority has to arrange a multi ticket with all its associated administration costs.

You also would have the administrative costs of creating the franchises.  This would involve the local authority employing extra staff to design them.  They would be subject to political influences.  These could result in some routes being over bussed and others with a much poorer service.

The problem, as has been mentioned above, is traffic congestion.  Instead of wasting his time and money on pipe dreams like franchising and the Cambridge Metro, the mayor ought to be finding ways of sorting this out.  If congestion continues worsening, no bus service entering the city will be able to cross subsidise uneconomic rural routes.

Offline cesar

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2018, 09:54:21 PM »

But there has to be a 'profit'. Where do you think the money for vehicles comes from? If operators buy them, they have to make a profit. If the local authority buys them, then that's extra money to come from taxpayers (and the history of public sector procurement is not glorious....). And before someone says 'lease them' - fine - but that's a big extra chunk on the operating cost, so the price goes up. And then as has been said, there's all the layers of bureaucracy to procure and monitor..... So whichever you do it, the magic money tree has to blossom more!!

Offline linkyyork

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2018, 11:09:13 PM »
John Wakefield states " The problem with monopoly's is that they 'call the shots', and only run services that suit them"

But this is exactly what deregulation is all about - for companies to run where and when they like.

I constantly give an example of what deregulation did to my local route.
First of all it was profitable overall with the low loadings on the evening service supported by the profit made at other times.
With deregulation they now were able to run when they liked ie during the profitable time of the day and the evening services ended.
So my last bus went from being 10pm - 11pm Fri Sat to 6pm and I went into a car.