Author Topic: Ashford Little & Often to Bigger & Almost as Often  (Read 630 times)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 102
Ashford Little & Often to Bigger & Almost as Often
« on: April 13, 2018, 02:00:00 PM »
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/complaints-spark-larger-bus-pledge-181148/

Little & Often (which saw smaller buses with a higher frequency) seems to have succeeded in building up custom to a level where it can support bigger buses with a similar frequency.

"Under the revised scheme, route B will see a 32% increase in seating capacity per hour, with route C benefiting from a 59% increase in seating capacity.

Stagecoach says the frequency of buses on both routes will remain high, with route C unchanged and route B changing from every 10 minutes to every 12 minutes.

Routes B and C will continue to operate on the existing routes."

Are there other places that could benefit from this approach to building up custom?  Sadly not Cambridge I presume, as frequencies are going the opposite direction!

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Ashford Little & Often to Bigger & Almost as Often
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 12:10:03 AM »
I best do an emergency trip to Ashford before they replace them then!  Any idea where the breadvans are heading next?

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 22
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 10:51:37 PM »
While it can be considered successful on the B and C routes, where even with the reduction in the upcoming timetable, the frequency will still be improved from before the 'Little & Often' scheme came along.

But the Little & Often minibuses were also put onto the E and G routes. They certainly haven't been successful there. The E will be completely withdrawn in June, with the Little Burton and Eureka Park sections replaced by diverting existing hourly inter-urban services.
The G route will be extended to cover the South Willesborough section of the E, but will go down from a 15-min frequency to half-hourly.

Also coming up in June are some major cut backs in the Folkestone, Hythe, Ashford areas. There changes are huge, with some hourly routes going down to 2-hourly.

Stagecoach East Kent had major passenger growth 5-10 years ago, and I believe it was one of Stagecoach's fastest growing areas in terms of passenger numbers. Those days appear to be over.

Offline Graeme Palmer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 11:01:10 PM »
I'm sure a change in government has something to do with that.

While it can be considered successful on the B and C routes, where even with the reduction in the upcoming timetable, the frequency will still be improved from before the 'Little & Often' scheme came along.

But the Little & Often minibuses were also put onto the E and G routes. They certainly haven't been successful there. The E will be completely withdrawn in June, with the Little Burton and Eureka Park sections replaced by diverting existing hourly inter-urban services.
The G route will be extended to cover the South Willesborough section of the E, but will go down from a 15-min frequency to half-hourly.

Also coming up in June are some major cut backs in the Folkestone, Hythe, Ashford areas. There changes are huge, with some hourly routes going down to 2-hourly.

Stagecoach East Kent had major passenger growth 5-10 years ago, and I believe it was one of Stagecoach's fastest growing areas in terms of passenger numbers. Those days appear to be over.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 22
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 05:20:33 PM »
I'm sure a change in government has something to do with that.

I agree. If operators like Stagecoach appear to be struggling, then there is no hope! This current government has had a terrible effect on the bus industry, as well as many other things!