Author Topic: Fenland BusFest  (Read 538 times)

Offline RM471

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 56
  • Owner of GS17, RM238, RM471 & RM2213
    • Peterborough Bus Rally
Fenland BusFest
« on: May 15, 2018, 08:46:11 pm »

We are taking our London Country 1953 Guy Special GS17 MXX 317 to this event on Sunday.

Full details and details and pictures of the buses attending here

Free half-hourly service using vintage buses to and from Peterborough Queensgate

See you there?

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 695
  • -Receive: 142
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: Fenland BusFest
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 01:42:04 pm »
Got you two mentions on BBCRadio Cambridgeshire today (Friday 18May 2018).

This morning, I tweeted to Thordis Fridriksson who's covering the Dotty McLeod Breakfast Show.

This lunchtime, I tweeted to Jeremy Sallis.

Both were read out.

I really enjoyed the show last year. I'll try to get along this time, too.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 02:13:46 pm »
Got you two mentions on BBCRadio Cambridgeshire today (Friday 18May 2018).

This morning, I tweeted to Thordis Fridriksson who's covering the Dotty McLeod Breakfast Show.

This lunchtime, I tweeted to Jeremy Sallis.

Both were read out.

I really enjoyed the show last year. I'll try to get along this time, too.

And I sent in a personal email, which was read out. So that was another shout-out!
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 134
  • -Receive: 288
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 05:56:06 pm »
I have considered visiting this rally a few times over the past years but have never managed it yet.

Is there a specific 'rally field' where participating buses assemble or do they just keep arriving in/departing from the centre of Whittlesey as they run on allocated route(s) throughout the day?

Also does anyone know what times the hourly service from March starts and from where? The website doesn't seem to give this information (unless I have missed it!).

Thanks
David   
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline Ashley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 07:27:32 pm »
I have considered visiting this rally a few times over the past years but have never managed it yet.

Is there a specific 'rally field' where participating buses assemble or do they just keep arriving in/departing from the centre of Whittlesey as they run on allocated route(s) throughout the day?

Also does anyone know what times the hourly service from March starts and from where? The website doesn't seem to give this information (unless I have missed it!).

Thanks
David   

Is this any help David, it looks like it starts in Whittlesey then passes through March and then back through a couple of villages. On the website it says, "Inbound services from Turves at 1110"

http://www.easternbusgroup.co.uk/MAP2.jpg

Ashley

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 08:03:46 pm »

Thanks
David   

The 'field' is the central streets of Whittlesey, David.

The whole of Market Street and Broad Street, including the Buttercross area outside the George Hotel and the Broad Street car park, are closed off for static vehicle displays and parking by active vehicles.

Last year, I travelled by train to Whittlesey (or Whittlesea in railway parlance).

From the Facebook event page I read:

Quote from: Eastern Bus Enthusiasts
Inbound Services from Peterborough Rail & Bus Stations at:
0930, Rail Station - 0935, Queensgate Bus Station (Bay 06)
1000, Rail Station - 1005, Queensgate Bus Station (Bay 06)

Afraid it says nowt about March.

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:00:01 pm »
Thanks Richard, all that outline and information helps me a great deal.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that was having difficulty finding details about the March bus times. The website shows the Turves departure time and the fact that the buses are every 30 mins. It also states that buses continue to March every 60 mins but doesn't, as you rightly say, elaborate further.

I have tried to email the Eastern Bus Group (www.admin@easternbusgroup.co.uk) but the email could not be delivered.

Thanks
David
My photos may be seen at

The site includes:

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 09:43:30 pm »
Thanks Richard, all that outline and information helps me a great deal.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that was having difficulty finding details about the March bus times. The website shows the Turves departure time and the fact that the buses are every 30 mins. It also states that buses continue to March every 60 mins but doesn't, as you rightly say, elaborate further.

I have tried to email the Eastern Bus Group (www.admin@easternbusgroup.co.uk) but the email could not be delivered.

Thanks
David

Hi, David.

Nathan – NSMerryweather – is a Forum member. maybe DM him?

But did you get the email address – admin@easternbusgroup.co.uk – correct?

Alternative: nathan@easternbusgroup.co.uk

Offline RM471

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 56
  • Owner of GS17, RM238, RM471 & RM2213
    • Peterborough Bus Rally
Fenland BusFest
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 02:26:58 pm »
These events are expensive to organise and run. It is not possible to ask for or accept donations for travel on the participating buses because this would constitute "Hire and Reward" and most of the buses are not running with Class VI MOTs, tachographs, operator's licences and "Hire and Reward" insurance. Consequently EBE have produced an excellent programme which includes the timetables for the services and provides an income stream for EBE. If detailed timetables were published on-line there would be less incentive to buy a programme and EBE would be out of pocket.

I do understand that this makes life difficult for people sensibly wanting to travel to and from the event by the free bus services provided. The times of the buses from some of the feeder locations are mentioned on the website. These services are usually be provided by visiting buses on their way to the event which is sensible and reduces empty journeys. I can only assume there isn't a suitable bus to provide a March feeder service on this occasion.

Offline Photomark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 07:10:46 pm »
Just returned home after a smashing day at the Fenland BusFest. Congratulations to the organisers and vehicle owners. A splendid day out.

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 06:41:41 am »
I second what Mark has written.

It was a thoroughly nice day out with exceptional organisation. The bus rides were very popular with some pretty long queues at times.

Well done to the Eastern Bus Enthusiasts Group.

David
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:47:39 am by Spoddendale »
My photos may be seen at

The site includes: